Thursday, August 19, 2010

Generation gap ...wat does it mean to me....!!!!

Today morning I was discussing with my friend about how our childhood was. The reason why it popped up was that he had to pick his wife and his little daughter from a kid's museum after lunch. Our discussion led to the games and activities of our childhood. We started comparing our childhood with current generation kids and my eyes were almost wet. I hardly remember toys I had in my childhood other than the only one which I lost the day my Mother gave it to me. I kept searching for it until dark that day and then went to bed sadly.
Kids now talk about iPhones, laptops, camera and what not. All I remember is I had marbles.. Which i had to buy from my brother.. 3 marbles for 10 paisa... , probably a few kites which I used to fly for the whole year... , a Balance scale (tarazu) made by me with caps of big oil tin cans... , a few plastic animal toys.. , a plastic kitchen set for kids... i think i got it from my sister... i used to prepare small chapathi's... No doubt that’s the reason I am a good cook today... also paper toys... I still remember i used to make planes out of every paper of my notebook at the end of year and fly them... Justice to my hard work huh.....
Kids now are born in an Air Conditioned room with the best medics n technology at their feet. They travel in cars from Day 1. They know what a car is ... I don't think my Dad had a scooter when I was born. Kids now have a car seat ... a stroller.. a seperate room ... We were 5 in a single bedroom.... slept on floor.. with nets tied to every available corner.
I used to look out of the window in the afternoon ... waiting for my friends to show up so that I can go out an play. I used to sneak out of home without informing my mom and left the door open. I was covered with mud from head to toe in the next hour.. Once i came back ...which was only after my dad had come looking and yelling at me... my mom would scream at me saying I left the door open again... The first time i got a bicycle was for rent ... Rs 1 for an hour.... can't believe... I used to roam around the lanes near my home.. felt excited if I crossed n went a lil far away...
I agree partially that I envy the Kids childhood now... I wish I had a better childhood but I am more than happy with what my parents were able to provide me and for what I have become today.... They did more than what I could have asked for... Thanks Mom n Dad !!!!

4 comments:

  1. So true very true!Hats off to you who made me think, realize and dive down the memory lane. You wrote, 'you wished you had a better childhood'...well when you'd look back you'd know even with such affluence/comfort/pleasure you'd still like to turn back time and go back to your childhood...and sleep on the floor with messes tied around all possible corners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sujeet..as a start off..must agree..good piece of work man :). What you said was absolutely true and thats the way it is..by generations to generations life would be more sophisticated. Say if we start our career/life from 1 and reach 10, we would expect our kids to start from 11 but not from scratch 1 :). We try hard and give all the things/happiness to our kids which we couldnt get in our life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sujeet, Congrats on your first blog. When we ruminate over our past, everything looks different. Trust me, we are blessed to see/feel things different coz the things we had in our life doesnt even exists now.Atleast we had/felt it..One thing..Rent a bicycle..is gud...because anything we have it everyday...loses its importance, in course of time.

    Believe in God,Have Faith in Friendship

    Yesh

    ReplyDelete